POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do you recognise any of these phrases? : Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases?
From: Warp
Date: 17 Jun 2008 15:14:41
Message: <48580d21@news.povray.org>
> On the other hand, they're probably just (as Andrews says) using it
> because it sounds cool, not because they know what it means.

  I somewhat similar common expression is "we are light-years ahead of
our competitors".

  They don't realize that's exactly as silly as saying "we are miles ahead
of our competitors", or in European, "we are kilometers ahead of our
competitors". IMO that expression just isn't sensible with a measurement
of distance.

  What they really want to say is "we are years ahead of our competitors"
(in terms of progress, technology, experience or whatever). It's just
that "light-years" sounds fancier.

--
                                                          - Warp